Monday, August 21, 2006

Book Review: The Alchemist

The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho, is about a boy who travels to follow his dreams. He learns a lot while in pursuit of his dreams and has the kind of experiences he never even dreamt of. Along the way though, he also faced many challenges which discouraged him and at times made him give up. Yet, something always turns him around and he eventually succeeds in his quest.

A phrase often repeated in the book is that when a man is in pursuit of his dreams, the universe will conspire to help him. This was very encouraging for me. My theory is that there are two types of people - ones who are always content with what they have, and ones who are perpetually pursuing their dream. I've always been the second type, constantly seeking for something new and exciting and better. At times, I wonder why I couldn't just be content with what I have. It is not a bad philosophy to live by. Afterall, if you never want anything, you can never be disappointed. However, if you never expect anything, you also get nothing. And the world has so much to offer! It's not just about traveling either. It's about meeting people and developing relationships, new challenges in your career, or perhaps just a better life at home. I do have a dream, although it's a secret, and I have been in pursuit of it for as long as I can remember. I do admit there are tough times, but I think there are tough times for everyone, regardless of whether you are the first type, or the second type. I have on many occasions thought about giving up, or settling for something else. This book has inspired me to continue in search of my dreams, meanwhile, enjoying the journey along the way. The hope of achieving my goal helps to keep me going. Maybe once I've reached it, I'll be that type 1 person I always envy. Oh yeah, the book - absolutely recommended. It's short and easy-reading, so no excuses! :)

2 comments:

  1. There is also 3rd type of people to complete your list: those who are never happy with anything they have! That's the saddest one and (I hope I'm wrong) I think it's on the rise...

    Keeping my fingers crossed for your dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is also 3rd type of people to complete your list: those who are never happy with anything they have! That's the saddest one and (I hope I'm wrong) I think it's on the rise...

    Keeping my fingers crossed for your dream!

    ReplyDelete