Sunday, February 11, 2007

Snow World


I love snowboarding, but I never really felt like trying it out indoors. There are apparently like 17 artificial slopes in Japan, but I didn't try any of them there. When I first came to Holland, someone had suggested perhaps checking out our local indoor skiing place - Snow World. I didn't feel like trying it out then either. How could it possibly compare to the real thing? Last night, however, I gave into peer pressure and decided to check it out. Afterall, don't knock it 'til you try it, right? Well, I've tried it, and I can't say it's really all that exciting. It probably takes like 5 minutes to get to the top, and then about 10 seconds to get down. I just don't have the patience for that. Plus, I don't like the lifts. They have a platter lift, which is not too different from a t-bar but more uncomfortable. If you're a snowboarder, the lift digs into your front inner-thigh and can be a bit painful.

In my opinion, indoor skiing is good if you're a beginner trying to learn, or if you want to practice tricks, or if you're looking for a fix. If you're an avid skier or snowboarder, I would suggest not going unless you have a real trip planned within a week or so. The indoor thing is a bit of a teaser. Yeah, it's fun, but you know it's even more fun on the real slopes so you are left wanting more.

Snow World is in Zoetermeer, about 30 minutes from the Hague. There are 3 ski areas - a beginner's area, a park area (for tricks), and the "long" one (35m high x 200m long). Hourly prices are quite outrageous, but you can get 4 hour passes for about 32 euros. On weekends, there is a special from 8-12pm (~21 euros). A DJ plays on Saturday evenings. Rentals are about 10 euros.

Since I am on the subject of indoor skiing, I had a quick look up on Ski Dubai. At least they seem to have gotten theirs right. It's at least twice the size of Snow World with 5 slopes. Longest run is 60m high and 400m long. Supposedly they have the world's first indoor black run. They also have quad lifts! I am going to be in Dubai early April, so maybe I'll check it out....

No comments:

Post a Comment