Monday, August 13, 2007

Prague, Czech Republic



I had no plans to take anymore trips this summer, but I decided there was just no point hanging around Holland so I went to Prague this weekend. Unfortunately, I am completely jaded. Prague to me is just another 'pretty' European city that I've seen enough of. I don't even think it's one of the prettiest cities in Europe, and it's so over-hyped. The famed Charles bridge was so over-crowded with tourists that I couldn't even see the bridge when I was on it. The Brugge trip last weekend was somewhat nicer if just for the fact that I got some delicious chocolates out of it. I figured Prague wouldn't excite me so much, but nevertheless, it's my goal to see as much of this world as possible.

The first half of Saturday was spent mostly around the Prague Castle. We saw the St. Vitus Cathedral, St. George Basilica, and some galleries. Everything was ho-hum until I stepped into the Daliborka Tower and came across their collection of torture instruments. I found it so fascinating that the next day I actually went to another Medieval Torture Museum in the city center. It was definitely worth the visit. I learned a lot about different torture methods that you normally would not hear about (probably because it's too disturbing for public television or Hollywood movies). The museum claims the worst torture to be impalement. While the museum's image of impalement did draw the biggest gasp out of me, I thought sawing was quite nasty too.

The rest of the time in the city was spent mostly walking around and meeting up with a friend from college. We wanted to check out the Technical Museum there, but it was closed for renovations. We went instead to their National Musuem, which was more like a natural history museum. I found the Natural History museums in NYC and at Smithsonian much better tho (and not just because it's in English!) We were tempted go check out the Sex Machines Museum instead, but we were too short on time :(

No comments:

Post a Comment