Monday, May 29, 2006

I'm a Mean Lean Cycling Machine!

The first productive thing I did in Holland was buy a bicycle. They have special roads designated for cyclers so just about everyone here rides one. Since I didn't ship my car or have any plans to buy one right away, I decided to give the bike thing a try myself. The first time I was here, I did the bus and tram thing, and that sucked. The last time I was here, I hitched a ride from coworkers and that was a pain in the butt, too. This time I am taking the most economical and efficient way to work.

I bought a used bicycle for 100 euros. Pretty pricey, but new ones cost like 400-600 euros!! You'd think there'd be a market for cheaper bicycles here but I guess you have to get something half decent or the sea breeze will rust it up pretty quickly. Anyways, I rode my new bike around the neighborhood feeling like a kid. It's been a long time since I've ridden one. I was having fun. I also felt a bit retarded though, trying to get used to it. It's not just riding. You have to make sure you don't hit anyone or get run over by a car. A friend of mine used to give another friend and me a ride on his bike (one on the handle bar and one on the bar in front of the seat). As often as we did the three-person bike ride, I'm surprised he didn't get us killed. I suppose by the time I'm done with Holland, I'll be as skilled as him in riding a bicycle.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm cheap. It's called post-graduate school syndrome. I also have to find an apartment and furnish it. Besides, I prefer to spend my money on traveling so I will continue to be cheap. I will learn the Dutch ways!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Welcome to the world of cycling! As for some first weeks, when you will be getting used to the two-wheelers, can you inform us when are you planning to ride your bike? for our own safety, I mean... :-)))))

    Jokes aside, 100 EUR is a pretty good deal; you can probably get a bike much cheaper, there are good 'deals' around 20 EUR around, especially in Amsterdam around 3 o'clock in the morning around Central Station! dirt cheap, but you better get it quick before the real owner comes around!! :-)))

    happy cycling, Diana!

    ReplyDelete