Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Orlando, FL

To celebrate graduation, I took a trip down to Orlando with fellow classmates, Kelly & Melissa. Luckily, Kelly's family down there gave us the hook up - one put us up in their very nice home where we chilled mostly by the pool, and the other got us into Disney World for free. We spent the first day at the Epcot Center and MGM Studios. I was a tad disappointed in both, even though I had been there and enjoyed it way back when. The international pavillions no longer excite me after having travelled so much in the last decade. Also, I've never been too keen on roller coasters, and simulation rides seem to make me more nauseaus the older I get. Furthermore, the shows in these parks are on the cheesy side and performed by amateurs at best. The next day, we went to Animal Kingdom. It was my first time there, and I liked it much better than the other theme parks. Despite all the people, I got a sense of being out in nature. The mini-safari wasn't bad either. Still, I think this could be the last time I go to theme parks in the U.S. It almost seems pointless to go unless you like the thrill of rides. I suppose I am getting old, but whatever.

The rest of the stay down South involved mostly hanging out by the pool and shopping. On the drive back up to Virginia, we stopped in Hilton Head to drop Melissa off so she can join her parents who are there for the week. We stayed a night in their guest bedroom. They had a pretty nice place there - a 3BR place just for the 3 of them, through time share. I'm starting to think I need to stop this budget traveling thing and start doing the luxury travel thing a bit more. I have a few options: 1) travel less and spend more on each trip, 2) get rich, or 3) marry rich. I'm not sure that traveling less is an option yet for me. Maybe by the time I'm 40 I could be making enough to live a little better. As for #3, maybe I need to start stalking some of the diplomats and royalties in or visiting the Hague. If anyone has any other bright ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

3 comments:

  1. where are the pictures!??!!??

    or... on the oncoming sports day at work you can set up a 'Kiss for 1 EUR' booth -- there are going to be lots of people there and, AFAIK, no-one did this trick so far so I'd expect good income! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, where are the Mickey Mouse pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey d, a little insight... you need to make sure to ask Melissa about her Mickey Mouse pictures from tonight... yeah the same night you were at Red Dog. Meanwhile I sit here with Wallace and Gromit. Believe it or not they are actually not bad company.

    ReplyDelete