Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Gardening 101

Rule #1 of gardening - don't rent an apartment that requires gardening.
Rule #2 of gardening - if you must get a place that requires gardening, don't get one with vines.

Today, I finally did what I've been putting off all summer - gardening. Not that I have a garden, but I realized a month or so after moving in that there are things growing in my back yard. I'd never lived in a place where maintaing the yard was necessary so I wasn't too happy about this. To make things worse, I have vines growing in my back yard. On one wall, I have a grapevine and a tree of some sort. The grapevine got so big over the summer that it fell from its support onto the ground. It sat there for 2 months while grapes were growing. I didn't even realize it was a grapevine until like a month ago. It probably grew to about 7-8 feet tall and 2-3 feet wide. I had to hack it down to like 3 feet high (see picture above left) to pin it back up on the wall. Apparently vines grow back easily so I was advised to go crazy on it. I also cut off all the leaves so I could see what I was doing. The tree also fell too, so I cut that down quite a bit and pinned it back up to the wall. I used an all-purpose string for pinning these. I hope it holds....

Now the other wall (see picture on right) is just covered in vines. And it started to grow on to the ground and the door to my backyard. If I didn't start cutting those down it'd be a lost world here. I am having guests over this weekend and I can't have a jungle in my backyard. Unfortunately, I ran out of trash bags so I will have to continue tomorrow with more gardening :(

No comments:

Post a Comment