Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Eye of the Tiger, baby!

I've finally done it! I've been looking for a martial arts school to train at ever since I got here. I was quite picky about what I wanted. The school had to be close to home, had reasonable training hours, preferably offered more than one class a week, not anything too similar to what I was doing back home, yada yada yada. Needless to say, I was having little luck. I pretty much had been settling for going to the gym at work (which was open weekdays only), and an occasional swim at the community pool. Now I've done it though. I've found the perfect place for me to train. Patience has paid off. I have just now come back from my first... boxing class!!

The school I found is Haagse Directe, about 15-20 min drive from home. They have training every weekday (though I can only make Tues & Thus because of the times), and it's only 5 euros a week!! (And I don't have to pay if I'm not there at all during the week.) Training is about two hours long, beginning with jumping rope as warm-up for about 20-30 minutes. Actual box training is about an hour, followed by another 15-20 minutes of strength training (i.e. abs, push-ups). Needless to say, I really enjoyed the training. I realize boxing is not exactly martial-arts, but I think it compliments it really well. No doubt training here will help my fighting skills.

Yep, so now I'm going to go watch Rocky VI as soon as it comes out later this week here in the Netherlands. I hear it's good. I've already got The Rocky Story Soundtrack, so between the movie and Eye of the Tiger, I should be ready to go kick some ass at Haagse Directe!!

3 comments:

  1. told ya'...btw, just don't end up as "Million Dollar Diana"

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool d, just try not to kill anyone

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw Rocky Balboa last night - it was great!! Recommended for everyone.

    ReplyDelete