Monday, January 1, 2007

My First Exorcism

According to Japanese superstition, the year a woman turns 33 is called yakudoshi, a year of "major calamity". Generally during such years, these people will experience great illnesses or misfortunes. The year preceding (mae-yaku) and year following (ato-yaku), are generally not good years either. I turn 33 this year.

The topic was a recurring theme in my visit to Japan. A Japanese friend told me of the miseries she went through during her yakudoshi. According to her though, you are supposed to add one to your age when deciding your yakudoshi, so in theory, last year should have been my yakudoshi, so I was relieved... briefly. A few days later, Mom convinced me 2007 was going to be my yakudoshi. It was also going to be my friend's (the one I am staying with at the moment) as well. While we are not superstitious, we didn't like the sound of having a year of "major calamity". We decided to follow the Japanese tradition of doing a yakubarai - their version of an exorcism. All things being the same, we thought we'd play it safe.

On New Year's day, Mom took us to a temple near her home that specializes in yakubarai. The process is nothing like the exorcism you see in movies back home. Rather, hourds (only so because of the special occasion of it being a new year) of Japanese people stand in a queue to check in at one counter, and then bumrush into a room on an hourly basis where monks perform the yakubarai. Yakubarai involves the monks parading into the room in their most stylish outfit, banging the drum and few other things, chanting or praying, and lighting a fire that is supposed to burn away all the evil spirits. Many of the Japanese silently prayed along with the monks. At the end of the ritual, each person is given an ofuda, a piece of wooden plaque that is supposed to be our migawari, or replacement, to suffer through yakudoshi in our stead.

Yakudoshi or not, I am expecting 2007 to be a good year. I have big travel plans for the year, and there are some exciting things going on at work. I suppose what happens in a yakudoshi tends to be unexpected. However, if 2006 was indeed my yakudoshi, I can't say it was a bad a year. To the contrary, I had an awesome year. It started off with me earning my black belt in karate, a short term assignment to Holland, a snowboard trip in France, a week in Mexico, finishing my Masters degree, getting the job I wanted, followed by lots more fun and traveling. The only stain in what would otherwise be a spotless year were problems, and eventual fallout, with one of my closest friends. Strong feelings of anger, hatred, and sadness consumed parts of me throughout the latter half of the year. Still, 2006 was much better than 2005 and 2004, which sucked royally. The last spotless year was 2003, and I hope 2007 is just as good, if not better (tho that might be tough given that was my year "off" traveling).

Anyhoo... I wish everyone a yaku free year and many happy returns. Akemashite Omedetou-gozaimasu.

4 comments:

  1. I am sure such a great personality like you won´t encounter any yakudoshi in 2007 at all !
    Lots of good luck Diana-

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is only for women I hope?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think 33 is a perfect age to be possessed by devil or other evil spirits. At least you know what's going on when you wake up with a greet bile taste in your mouth, tied up to your bed, with priests around you, muttering something in Latin... the shock is not that huge, you know :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. For men, it's 42. So I'll be checking up on you guys in about 10 years :D

    ReplyDelete