Saturday, January 7, 2006

Call Me Karate Master


Okay, I am not a karate master, but I did earn my black belt yesterday. I tested with one other person for our first degree black belt in Tang Soo Do at the Chuck Norris Karate Studios on January 7th. The test consisted of basic hand techniques, kicks, forms, one-steps, self-defense, jump kicks, sparring, grappling, and board breaking. All of this is done fast-paced in an 80-90 minute period so a lot of endurance and stamina is required. Going in, I thought for sure I was going to die (only because I'd been under the weather for a while), but I managed to survive. And overall, I am happy with the way things went. There were couple of parts where I was disappointed in the way it went, but I received a lot of nice compliments from the observers regarding my performance (as if they would actually tell me if I sucked).

So how does it feel to be a black belt? Um, actually, I don't feel any different... yet. I'm just glad the test is over with so I can relax a bit. Perhaps when I walk into class for the first time with my black belt, I will feel like one.

Btw, I have no pictures yet 'cuz they all came out blurry. We were too fast for the cameras. (Or more likely the shutter speed wasn't set properly). I'll see if I can pull some stills off of the videos once I get my hands on one. For now though, you'll have to settle with this as the proof:

Putting on the black belt for the first time

3 comments:

  1. Congratulation, Diana !! Great !! Please show me your act and Black tie when we meet next time !

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I must say it was an impressive show :) Despite possible your possible disappoint here or there. I still have to say well done!

    Ok so, I don't have a frame of reference but I would have never known. The minds eye and reality are too very different things. It kinda makes me rethink a couple of Halloween's ago when I tried to take your keys :S

    Congratulations again and enjoy your journey!

    ReplyDelete