Sunday, March 5, 2006

Book Review: The Motorcycle Diaries

The book details the adventures of Ernesto "Che" Guevara and his buddy on their not-so-trusty motorcycle across South America. It was a journey Che took before becoming a legend. His experiences through South America led to an effort to remedy poverty in the region through revolution and he later became a social icon. The book was given to me as a gift by a friend after he found out I had no idea who Che Guevara was. The book is not about what made Che famous, but about his travels. I also like to travel, and sure enough, I found the accounts of Che's travels interesting. I went on a backpacking adventure through Africa, New Zealand, and Australia back in 2003. I tried to do mine on a budget and went through similar experiences of trying to find lodging, transportation, and food everywhere I went. In no way can I compare my minor inconveniences to the extremity of Che's, but it made me wonder how cheap can I go in when I travel? Trying to cross an entire continent with no money - now that's an adventure. I suppose tho, that if I can afford it, I should not be bumming off of people for food, lodging, rides, etc. South America is also a generally unexplored part of the world. Mainstream tourism is often limited to places like Machu Picchu and Galapagos Islands. South America isn't a typical backpackers route. I've only been to Peru myself, but I've been wanting to explore more of the continent for a while now. Che's adventures served as motivation and a reminder to get my butt out to South America before it becomes spoilt by more tourists.

P.s. Anyone have the movie I can borrow?

1 comment:

  1. If you don't find the movie before you get back... it's one among many in my collection. It's all yours

    ReplyDelete